TAK Home
 


 
 
 

Dear members of our transatlantic discussion forum. 

The war against Iraq is on. I would like to invite you to share your opinions with our transatlantic community so that we might better understand what goes on in your country and your minds. When you do so, please keep in mind that this is a very sensitive issue so please choose your words carefully.

Below are the first few statements from German and American students made before the beginning of the war and during the war.

Bye.
Kerstin Otto
TAK-Coordinator 



Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 
From: students in Hamburg
Subject: discussion about the war against Iraq
 

Dear ladies and gentlemen, dear pen-pals,
we are German students in Hamburg and attend the "Lohmuehlengymnasium".
We would like to discuss the subject "war against Iraq" with other
students.

We have problems and worries about the planned war by US-America against
Iraq. We approve a overthrow of Saddam Hussein.So the land could build a
democratic government.

On the other side we fear, George W. Bush wants only this war because he
wants profits, for instance that oil or stepping up the US-economy.
Some of us are afraid that the war could degenerate into a Third World
War.
Besides the law of nations allows only wars of defence. But we can´t see
that the planned war is a war of defence, because we don´t see a
immediate threat in Saddam Hussein.
The worst of a war against Iraq would be, that the population of Iraq
will sorrow very much. They already have enough serious problems.

Yours sincerely,
Bettina E. by order of my teacher and my class



Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 
From: Garrett, Ohio 
Subject: Re: [TAK] discussion about the war against Iraq 
 

I see both sides of the arguement; however I am more Pro-War then
Anti-War; If you don't know I am an American student. 

I believe Saddam is a tyrant and keeping his own citizens in camps and gas chambers is wrong. No leader should ever commit such crimes against humanity. I believe Iraq should be rebuilt as a Democracy where Iraqi children can once see what it is like to have their God Given Rights. Saddam does have weapons if you haven't seen he is only now destroying them. If Saddam does not have any Terrorist links, why did North Korea offer an
asylum for Saddam? And North Korea is also testing nuclear weapons. 

I believe something should be done before it erupts; War is neither fun
nor glamorious but sometimes peace can only be made through force, 
unfortunately... 

Also the sake of having war for Oil is absurd if the US needed Oil that bad (Which we don't) we would have taken it in the first Gulf War. I am not saying that France, Germany, Russia are not intitled to their beliefs but I believe something must be done before something happens to us the common citizens, civilians who were murdered during 9/11 is much different than taking out a Militiary Hate Terrorist Group.

My Opinion
Garrett


Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003
From: Colleen, Illinois 
Subject: Re: [TAK] discussion about the war against Iraq 
 

I am in the middle about this. Yes, Saddam is a tyrant and
injures his own people yet, if we go to war, millions of
innocent people will die. there will also be anti-arab
feelings in the u.s.a. again, which we don't need. Yes, i am
from the united states, but i don't want to go to war
unless it is totally necessary. it would help a lot if we
had allies in this because if we go in on our own, it will
be difficult.

Pro war reasons: Saddam may have nuclear weapons that he can give to al kieda and they could use the weapons against the
united states. iraq could attack us anytime and we would
like to eliminate that option.

Anti war reasons: Saddam may not even have the weapons! the
u.s.a is already a world superpower nd they have no right to
dominate and rule what occurs in all other countries. even
if we did go to war, it would hurt the economy and millions
of innocent people, both iraqi and american would be killed.
hopefully some of you can see my opinion.

Colleen


Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 
From: Ira, Germany
Subject: Re: Re: [TAK] discussion about the war against Iraq – response to Garrett
 

> I see both sides of the arguement; however I am more
> Pro-War then Anti-War; If you don't know I am an American
> student. I believe Saddam is a tyrant and keeping his own
> citizens in camps and gas chambers is wrong; No leader
> should ever commit such crimes against humanity. 

         Here you hear, that most/all of these"facts" are Fakes, and not right!!!!

>I believe Iraq should be rebuilt as a Democracy; where Iraqi
> children can once see what it is like to have their God
> Given Rights.

          Why is only a democratic state a good state????

> Saddam does have weapons if you haven't seen

> he is only now destroying them. 

        Why are you so sure about that???

>If Saddam does not have any Terrorist links; Why did North Korea offer an aslyum for Saddam?

Because North Korea isn't America's best friend perhaps, and it's very difficult to decide, who is the bad person in this war: Hussein or Bush, 

> And North Korea is also testing nuclear weapons

And the USA don't?

> I believe something should be done before it
> erupts; War is neither fun nor glamorious but sometimes
> peace can only be made through force,  unfortauntly.. 

do you think, that any iraqi woman has the feeling to become free, if bombs fall on their head??And have you thought that USA won't rebuilt Iraq, it will only destroy it! you haven't any detailed  plan, how to democratisize Iraq, just 1 1/2 sheets in big letters!!!

You can`t  really think, that this does improve to live in Iraq, the only result: much more victims than on 11/9(two towers/a whole state), a destoyed state, more nutrition problems, America got the oil resources, keep the land in poverty, Help orgenisations has to rebuilt--not the USA

> Also the sake of having war for Oil; is absurd if the US
> needed Oil that bad (Which we don't) we would have taken
> it in the first Gulf War. 

 The US is the biggest consumer of oil, and do it attack any of the neigbours states of Iraq, which committed perhaps much more crimes?

>I am not saying that France,
> Germany, Russia; Are not intitled to their believes but I
> believe something must be done before something happens to
> us the common citizens, civilians who were murdered during
> 9/11 is much different than taking out a Militiary Hate
> Terrorist Group 

 It won' be just that  !!

> My Opinion       > Garrett,

Thank you Garrett for your opinion, I think every person is influenced by its surroundings, but I think you doesn't get all the information i get and I don't get all what you hear. For example, do you know, that many people think , that this war will only be a personal revenge of Bush, who has never been in another state than America, before his presidentship, and wants to continue his fathers work. That the US overrate itselves: it tries to play the only "good" state : a court, without authorisation. And one man can do whatever he wants, altough nearly the hole world is against him. 

Perhaps I'm not very objective, but it's difficult when many people will die because someone thinks that a people is better and more worse then another.

It would be nice if you answer to my difficult statement

Ira

PS..Can you imagine, to leave your land, which is YOUR land, because e.g. China says:if you don't leave your land i'll attack it?


Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 
From: Garrett, Ohio 
Subject: Re: Re: [TAK] discussion about the war against Iraq 
 

I now say I am fully Pro-War, It has been proven he has weapons from
using his scud missles on our gb/us soldiers! I have one brother in the
101st airborne fighting right now and one going to kuwait now. I want to
know they are fighting for a good reason. Many of you say George Bush is
the bad guy, or Sec of State Powell. There is a difference in a
democratic leader who wants to help us from being SLAUGHTERED again
Innocent people. You compare us disarming MILITARY forces to deaths of
thousands and thousands of our innocent people. I think this is absurd.
Iraq can be a good country, but its being lead into the void of darkness
by an evil dictator who kills his own men. If you think America is
unfair. Go to Iraq and speak out and see what happens. If it weren't for
our soldiers in the U.S. we wouldn't even have the right there of to
speak out. I think now is the time we embrace our soldiers and take
Saddam from power and restore a republic Iraq. 

This is my opinion maybe you don't agree but I strongly believe in the cause now and I am behind my brothers all the way.

Garrett
P.S. And best wishes to the other 30+ countries allied to us!

nach oben


Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003
From: Ira, Germary
Subject: Re: Re: [TAK] discussion about the war against Iraq – response to Garrett
 

                Now I am fully Anti-War. Yes he has weapons, if not why  was he able to bomb Kuwait. But I am not sure if he had begin a war.

You can't say that iraqis aren't with Hussein, its the same as if you would say all americans aren't with Bush. Now its to late to stop the war. I think American people can't imagine how it is a war in his own land, the only thing you had was 11/9, and you tried to beat back. For u its much easier to say: ok lets have war.

I can understand why you are now fully behind your brother, I would it be too. If you fight, you want to know that you fight for the right thing. I think that this war wasn't necessary.

Do you know that foreign reporters doesn't get information about the war exept the information of the american TV. Isn't it a one-sided position? In Iraq you can only hear iraq propagands to resist etc. and in America you can hear the same in a more persuading speech.(naturally pro US) 

I am so sad about all that. I dont think that anyone is really bad, i just think that neither US peolpe nor Iraqis have thought of the consequences, its nearly as if two little child would argue who has start the argument and who ist bigger, better or something like that. 

I hope that you WILL restore a republic Iraq. 

Good luck!



 

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003
From: Garrett, Ohio
Subject: Re: Re: [TAK] discussion about the war against Iraq – reply to Ira
 

I am not out to disrespect anti-war personel. As for one sided
information this is not true, they display the facts. When you have been
told are lies, nothing hurts more than the truth. We are not out to take
over Iraq, nor are we there for Oil. To Restore a republican Iraq and
take a dictator from power. I think that Iraq using Scud's is more than
enough proof of his banned weapons. I strongly believe that this is for
the better, Not all Iraqi's are bad, a lot are against Saddam, But Saddam
kills his opposition no one will speak out in fear of what Saddam will
do. I feel that we speak a strong opinion with a coalition over 40+
countries now. And even France wants to help out rebuilding iraq, but
who knows about France.

God Bless America and the U.K. and everyone else.

Garrett


What's your opinion? Join our TAK-Talk forum

Last updated March 24, 2003 
<<zurück